Thursday, November 26, 2009

India has no idea what it's in for

All right.  I leave today to take India by train, bus and camel.  Feeling good, even after a sleepless night and a slight problem picking up my tourist visa yesterday.  It was supposed to be ready at the pick-up office by 6 and I arrived at 6:20 to collect it.  Guess what: not there.  "Please can you come back to get it tomorrow at 8:30?"  Um, no, I have to be airborne at 9:30, so that's not going to happen.  Now I can either spend $12 on a cab to the embassy (again, no, this time because I didn't bring anything except my train card) or wait for the courier to bring it to me.  So an hour and ten chewed-off fingernails later, the embassy rep drives over with my visa, attached to my passport.  Phew.  It looks good, too; can't wait to show it off.

Out of all the trips I've taken, this has to be the one I'm most mentally unprepared for.  Since I had a full day of school yesterday and I haven't really packed very much and I spent last night eating pizza with friends like it was any other night, it does NOT feel like I'm going (let alone in 8 hours).  I don't think it's going to hit me until sometime around the time when I enter the airport.  I'm also not prepared for what I'm going to see/hear/smell, since as I understand it India is completely unpredictable.  Some travelers are harassed, hassled and taunted by children while others are by turns ignored and welcomed by complete strangers.  As a woman traveling alone, I have an equal chance of falling into either category. 

I'm really looking forward to sharing what I learn and experience and would love to hear from you via the comment section below, facebook or email.  After many months of preparing, I'm ready to go.

Now not to jinx myself, but you never know exactly what's going to happen when you travel alone, so I just want to say that I love you.  So, just in case, I got to say it and even if everything goes fine at least you'll know, anyway.  No worries, though; I'm sure soon enough I'll be sending photos, telling you all the details and maybe even seeing you in the States when I visit in March.  So mom, please stop freaking out.  I'll call you as often as I can.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment